Friday, January 27, 2006

en route to Christchurch

After conquering Fox Glacier and claiming it in the name of North America (we decided to share), we parked our rubbery legs in a nice hostel in Hokitika. (Pronounced by us, "Hokitikitikitookitikita.")

Church in Hokitika.

The next day we headed due east to Christchurch, where we were to spend New Years Eve.

It was on this leg, after all those winding roads, that we finally hit a long straight stretch. At which point I may or may not have taken advantage of this by speeding a little (shown here in this dramatic reenactment).

After which point I may or may not have been pulled over by a sneaky policeman around a bend who may or may not have caught this incident on a super sneaky overhead camera. To my credit, I was only going 5 kph over the acceptable limit, which is like what, 3.2 mph? Plus I’m pretty sure it was while I was passing one of those annoying camper vans. Anyway, before you start hyperventilating (mom), I was later advised by a completely un-sneaky policeman to flee the country without paying the fine. What a magnificent place. Although this may interfere with my plans to emigrate there. They might be less willing to accept a fugitive from the law. Dang it. I knew I should have showed him my Japanese license instead. They would never have been able to track down a Miss “ケイトリンハンセン.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me...upset over speeding?? That would be slightly hypocritical of me. I don't think I am capable of operating a car without speeding (just ask Dad)! And ditching the county without paying the fine, Yes! way to stick it to the International-Man. Power to the People my brother (Sister?....Daughter?)You get my militant drift.

Let me know if you need fake I.D. to get back to the U.S. Pretty sure with my years of spy book reading I could come up with something.

Stay out of trouble in J-land!
Mom

Lewis said...

Great stuff Caitlin, I'm loving the photos! New Zealand is definitely on the list of places to see when I leave Japan!

Anonymous said...

Way to go. I now see where you get the lead foot(feet). I can never catch up with your Mom, even on Railroad.Boy those international cops are really sneaky. Just bat those baby blues whenever you're pulled over, just remember to make sure it's an honest to god cop(I must watch to much t.v. and read to many of the wrong kind of books). Hope the cold is better.

Love,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Okay, rescind my "Stick it to the International-Man" statement. The International Man sent your ticket to the house! And I don't seem to have any NZ dollars laying about...do you?