Saturday, July 15, 2006

This is it. It’s 12:06 am, July 16th, and after two years, I’m leaving Japan in ten days.

It’s hitting like they said culture shock would but never did. Dizzy waves of awe and confusion and excitement and sadness and resignation punch me in the face at unexpected intervals.

I find it dangerous to use such numbering systems; if I had counted out the last 100 days, each would have been spent mourning what was to come without experiencing every day. I'll try to remember this as I enjoy these last ones with the people who have meant so much to me for the most recent significant chunk of my life.

I can’t summarize what it feels like to be leaving this life. But it was good. Ahhh, it was good.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw Keitorin, I feel ya. Same here -- leaving was a lot more "shocking" than arriving, and counting down too far in advance threw me into a panic. I'm glad that you've just started at 10 days -- that's reasonable, almost necessary to plan out your good-byes and your "see you"s. But yeah, just enjoy -- leave with a bang! :) The alternative is moping, and that doesn't leave a good last memory on all your tomodachi there.

Anonymous said...

I'll miss you keitorian, back to the mother planet. I'll send you a knife in pdx.

Anonymous said...

p.s. I can't wait to reprise our karaoke roles back here in amerika :o)

Anonymous said...

Kei-chan,

I know you are so sad, and I am sad for you. You have met so many wonderful people and have had such incredible experiences. You are a lucky, lucky girl, and they are lucky to have had you!

Life won't be terrible here...I promise. You'll find something very Caitlin-worthy to keep you occupied. Really, you won't have to live in a van down by the river (not for very long anyway).

Here's to your stunning upcoming adventure with Jessica. Concentrate on that, nothing else.

Mama-san

p.s. I might have to start leaving snarky comments on Dan's blog just so I don't go into immediate culture shock............

C said...

thanks guys.

dan, i'll be awaiting my knife. i can bring it to the decemberists concert.

The Funky Drummer said...

This is the end of Ono fellowship... goodbye watering hole, kayaking monkey trips, bamboo beer garden and yumeya.

BUT: the baka inaka lives on baby. We've left our mark on the ken.

It's been nice working with you - our paths shall cross again, somewhere, sometime, somehow...

x SamSan

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»