Thursday, February 23, 2006

I love this country.

Tonight I got abducted in the street by a Japanese lady. I was just starting to feel hungry for the first time in about a week, and getting tired of soup from a packet. Since my car has a flat tire, I decided to venture out on my bike to get some quality conbini food instead. Four days is a long time to spend alone in bed, I’ve discovered, and I was feeling quite restless in my quarantined state.

So when someone behind me in the street yelled “Keitorin-san!” I whipped around hopefully. It was a lady I’d met before at city hall, who had kindly invited me to a party at her big mountainside house. It’s sort of the equivalent of having dinner at the farm back home—lots of homegrown vegetables, traditional recipes, and a nice old-smelling house.

When I saw her this time, she didn’t say, long time no see, or, how have you been, just, what are you doing right now? You should come to my house. I think she saw my desperation. So we loaded my bike into her car, picked up a cake, and went home. I helped with preparations, ten other people showed up, and we had another amazing dinner party, with some of the most giving, open, genuine people I’ve ever met. This is what I’ll miss most about Japan.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why does your car have a flat tire? Is Golf pants going to come fix it for you? Maybe get one of those gas-tank toting, cussing old ladies from NZ to come help?

I love that county too. Any county that takes care of my baby when I can't is tops with me (and obviously feeds you much better than I ever did!).

love from your negligent mother

p.s. I did send you the dried soup packets though...that must count for something. No?

Anonymous said...

All right already. I am so hungry(it's now 10:45AM and the stomach is growling). What do I see but a table full of food. What a spread. If someone invited you out here it would be a trip to Big Mac's.

I am so ready for spring. It has now started raining AGAIN. They now say a chance of sloppy wet snow tonight. YEAH, I can hardly wait. I don't mind the drive, just all the crazies on the road.

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Love,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

that's awesome caitlin, i wish takefu people would abduct me and give me food, they just stare as i drive past. sigh. maybe next year

C said...

they're staring because they're thinking, "that boy looks hungry. i wish i could give him some food."

you just need to hang out in public places a lot and look pitiful. or come to ono.

Anonymous said...

maybe i will... we could look pitiful on the street and wear oliver twist hats.